If you google how to delete or move a WSUS database based on WID, you most likely will run into blog posts based on WSUS 3.0 and Windows 2008. But with Windows 2012, their advise is not valid anymore, because basically all these post are making use of SQL Server Management Studio 2005 or 2008 Express and the Server Name “\\.\pipe\Microsoft##SSEE\sql\query“.
For Windows 2012 you will need the following updated information:
- WSUS for Windows 2012 is up to version 4. If you read a blog post about 3 something you know (now?) the info is wrong.
- The WSUS 4 WID database is in the following location: C:\Windows\WID\Data\SUSDB.mdf. Delete or move this database at the file level is not an option, you have to use the SQL Management Studio.
- Install SQL Server Management Studio 2012 Express (Download SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe).
- Once installed run SQL Management Studio 2012 with Run As Administrator.
- Make the connection with Server Name: \\.\pipe\Microsoft##WID\tsql\query
- Now you can use most posts to delete or move the WSUS database.